Sunday 14 March 2010

Elly the Reindeer APP


As I type, apple itunes has launched my first APP/digital childrens book - Elly the Reindeer. (ELLY BOOK 1) But how did this all come about ? Well, talk to just about anyone with a kids book idea about how easy it is to get publishers to view, let alone take a punt on a book these days (or for that matter ask a literary agent) and most of the time you'll hear tales of 'they never got back", 'they're not accepting any more submissions' - or in the case of two literary agents I wrote to, "the markets way too difficult right now". Fed up with emailing, posting and begging people to take a look, I took things into my own hands and found an APP developer in Mubai, Dipali Vaidya of phonetesting.mobi. Her enthusiasm and dedication helped propel this book onto the APP store in no time.

It's very exciting to be in total control, and of course it's a gamble, but not an very expensive one, and we're now on a mission to bring 4 or 5 Elly books to the store together with Big Red Barn, (featured earlier in this blog), the latter with animal sounds hopefully.

I started back in the 1970's drawing comics to entertain my little sister, even trying to construct an elaborate printer once, I had a masthead and I tried to produce one a week...it feels like it's all gone full circle now that I'm back in control again, a digital publisher, I shall certainly enjoy the process, I may even make some money - I'll keep you posted ! Now to get that marketing underway....

1 comment:

Peter Richardson said...

Yup Jon marketing hand in hand with talent, the two are more closely linked than ever before and it's great to see this fabulous little character as a "pioneer" App.

Lovely stuff!